Question
Posted by: Alistair Barnaby | 2019/08/27

Intense pain in urethra

My wife gets intense pain in her urinary tract after urinating, when she is turned on and after sex. So bad that she has to use her oramorph to lessen, yes, just lessen the pain. A urologist a few years ago said there is nothing wrong, and yet she is still suffering Persistent UTIs generally looking at at least 1 a month. Takes necessary precautions to prevent them. Cotton underwear, wipe front to back, uses a sensitive unparfumed vagina wash (femfresh), urinating after sex Doctors just keep prescribing antibiotics, we know the risk of excessive antibiotic use, but what is she to do? She doesn’t have an STI and never has had one. She has given birth to 2 children. She hasn’t had sex with anybody but me in our 12year relationship.

- 2019/08/28

Have these UTIs been proven with urine culture? The symptoms are suggestive, but there are other causes of bladder pain apart from UTIs.  Interstitial cystitis is one of these. I would suggest seeing your urologist again or a gynaecologist who specialises in Urogynaecology.