Question
Posted by: | 2019/02/14

I'm afraid I have bulbar als

I am 43. In December I started with twitching in the muscles of my arms and legs mostly but also sometimes in my pectoral muscles, across my lower chest, eyes. I also have these episodes that feel like thin liquids are starting to go down "the wrong pipe". Any time I eat or drink anything I am constantly clearing my throat and sometimes dry coughing.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/02/15

Sorry to hear that the ALS is affecting your swallowing. This means that food or liquids can sometimes slip into the wrong passage, in this case the wind pipe. You need to consult your neurologist to see if it's safe to swallow. In some cases an alternative feeding method such as a nasogastric or peg feeding tube could be used.