Question
Posted by: justice | 2019/02/06

Fertility issue

I have two sons currently and in 2008 was hijacked and shot and survived. The doctor while I was recovering in hospital asked me if I got any children and I said I got two sons but never told me why he was asking that question. Since then I have tried to have more kids but failed and I remember the doctors question which suggests that some important organ is damaged that work with fertility. I am currently 49 years old and my wife is 42 years old, is there any route or procedure that we must follow to get more kids. When I have sex with my wife I am no longer strong like before and my sperm looks more watery please advise.

- 2019/02/22

Dear Justice,

This will all depend on where on your body you were shot and what the damages were. The doctor may not necessarily have meant anything by that question and may only have asked conversationally. It is possible that  if there was injury to the genital or urinary systems or the spine that you may have difficulty conceiving. However as you are able to have intercourse, the neurological system is presumably intact. There are many causes of infertility, both male and female. As you mention your wife is now 42 years old. This may also be a factor as we know that with increasing age there is a decline in fertility potential. I advise that you do a semen analysis and that you consult with a fertility specialist so that you may both be assessed and investigated.

Answered by Dr T Mohamed