Question
Posted by: Donna | 2019/03/13

Persistent productive cough

I have had a persistent productive cough for about three weeks now, with no fever or other symptoms.  I am a retired critical care nurse that worked at Grady Hospital for over 18 years. During my time there I was exposed to many serious, and sometimes rare diseases. I once ended up with a "white out" of my right lung that I was treated for after caring for a patient in isolation (don't remember their DX). I also previously had multiple pulmonary emboli and was prescribed Zerelto, which I still take. I also have several small lung nodules which are not growing. The cough is worse at night and sometimes causes me to gag and throw up. I am getting concerned that this is more than allergies, etc. I also take an OTC for allergies QD. What is your opinion of what is going on? now?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/03/15

There are many causes of chronic cough. The symptom complex you describe makes me suspicious that this might be gastric acid reflux. Other common possibilities could include chronic post-nasal drip. Given your occupational history you should have another chest x-ray. You need to sort through these possible causes and trail of treatments including antihistamines with your doctor.