Question
Posted by: Dino | 2018/02/15

I have been spitting blood for the past 3 weeks.

Hello, my name is Dino.I am 27 years old and have been spitting blood for the past 3 weeks. The blood usually comes when I draw fresh spit in my mouth 4 to 5 times and it also seems to be more present after I cough. This makes me very worried as I have been a relativly strong smoker for about 12 years. I have since given up and haven't smoked for 3 days now. I of course went to see my local doctor about this and she sent me to the hospital where I had an x-ray done of my chest and my blood taken for analysis. Both came up fine without any bad results but I was still sent to the lung department of the hospital for observation and because the doctor said that the x-ray and blood tests weren't enough to rule out cancer completely. This was last Friday (09.02.2018) and I stayed there until Tuesday. The doctors in the lung department didn't seem to take my case very seriously at all and didn't really do anything for 5 days except observe the amount of blood I spit out. They also sent me to an ENT doctor to see if my mucosa were damaged and he found nothing. Then they sent me home simply stating it could still be my mucosa. I noticed in the hospital that when I coughed up phlem, there was no blood to be seen at all. It was only when I drew fresh spit in my mouth several times that I would start to see blood which could be why the doctors did no further testing on my lungs. Now I'm back home I do not feel any less worried as I still spit blood. I also noticed that I spit blood even if I don't draw fresh spit into my mouth, though it isn't very much because I avoid doing so now and this only happened once. I also noticed some blood after I coughed this afternoon. It wasn't in the phlem but in the spit that I spat out after I spat out the phlem. All I see in the phlem are small brownish bits that I put down to smoking. I also don't have a regular cough or anything like that. The only other thing that worries me is that I have a slight shortness of breath and cant seem to exersize as well as I used to, but I read that this could be down to stress. I was also ill for 2 days after my hospital visit with a stomach flu, which also caused a great deal of stress. The blood also still comes when I gather new spit in my mouth after 4-5 times. It is bright red and nothing has been found in my mouth area that could be the cause of it. I am really worried that it could be some form of cancer. I'm just very unsure about my situation and would love to hear your take on it.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2018/02/23

Cough up of blood at your age is abnormal.  There are abnormalities of the lung that can be missed on ENT examination and on chest x-rays.  I wonder you’ve had a CT scan of the chest (where you lie flat on a table that goes through a large donut-shaped structure churning out a very detailed x-ray of the lung).  If not, and the problem persists, then you need to go back to the hospital and suggest that this be done.  I presume that your teeth have been checked out and that there are no major dental problems (e.g. from gum bleeding).