Question
Posted by: | 2020/10/07

Severe coughing

I have been having severe coughing spells for the last three years. I cough for a period of two weeks, have a two week period cough free. This is the constant rotation. The coughing usually starts with watery eyes and itchy throat. I have been prescribed antiviral and anti bacterial medication without any change.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2020/10/16

The pattern you describe sounds very much like this is allergy-related.  Chronic hay fever with a post-nasal drip sounds like the culprit.  You should discuss with your doctor the option of nasal steroids and trial of different types of antihistamines that may alleviate your symptoms.  There are also other potential long-term treatments.