Question
Posted by: Crystal | 2018/10/15

I had a severe allergic reaction but skin and blood test were negative

Two weeks ago I was eating peanut butter crackers and I started itching. It began in the palms of my hands but had soon spread all over my body. I chugged some children’s liquid benedryl and went to take a cold bath where I saw huge hives appearing on my legs. I showed my husband who decided he needed to take me to urgent care. By the time I was dressed my face was red and swollen and hives had appeared on my arms as well. Whenever  I walked to get in the car I felt faint. So a I stopped and leaned on something hoping it would pass. Next thing I knew I was picking myself up off the floor. Once at urgent care they took my blood pressure and it was 60/30. Once I was stabilised I went home with prednisone and a prescription strength benedryl. I have avoided peanut products since then but eaten all the other foods I had that day with no problems. I went to an allergist who performed a skin test which was negative. She sent me for a blood test which was also negative. I was told to come to the office and eat small doses of peanut butter in an attempt to I guess recreate the reaction. I am so confused. What is going on? Is this common to happen?

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2018/10/19

The symptoms and signs are suggestive of an allergy, but with negative skin prick testing and allergy blood tests to peanut, peanut is evidently not the cause and you must ave consumed another allergen that caused the reaction. Perhaps sesame or another product in the cracker. Other possibility would be some form of medication you took around the same time you ate the peanut butter cracker. You will need to do some detective work.