Posted by: | 2018/02/21

I got drunk and tried to overdose. Again.

Last night I was babysitting my younger sisters (I'm 24 and still live at home with the parents) and I decided to have some wine. Needless to say I finished the bottle. I've been feeling really low about life recently. I'm on medication (Muzak and epitec) but I just don't feel like I have a purpose. I'm extremely unmotivated- which is not like me- and basically waste my days away waiting for something interesting to happen. Nothing does. And then it's Monday again and I have to go to work (which gives an income of peanuts hence living with the parents). So I got hammered last night and decided to write something similar to a suicide note- but it was more like a angry message to the world. Reading it today and in a sober state, I must say, i was shocked. There's so much anger in me that only seems to come out when I'm drunk and hit a low. Basically I took ten panados. I don't think I wanted to kill myself, I just wanted to see if anything would happen. Nothing has happened. My parents are never the wiser and I'm still here. I don't really know what my question is. I guess I'm wondering if those 10 panados did any damage.

- 2018/02/22

You're not much of a baby-sitter, are you ? I'm not meaning to annoy you, but what sort of babysitter gets very drunk, and then takes any sort of overdose ?
Part of the problem might be that a situation such as you describe, should not, in my experience, be treated solely by medication,  and proper, business-like CBT style counselling from a experienced psychologist could probably help more.  This would also deal with what looks like a really important part of the problem, that you seem to have adopted a really unrealistic way of approaching whatever problems come your way. ( and some problems come EVERYBODY'S way ). 
It's vanishingly unlikely that anything interesting happens, except by total accident, to people who just sit around waiting for it.  I've had some extraordinary experiences around the world, in my life, but not while twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to turn up : only when I actively worked towards opportunities and activities I wanted.
Getting hammered never helps anyone with anything at all,  unless they really want a  hangover.  Besides which, drinking alcohol at all both worsens depression on its own, and usually interferes with the benefits of any of the drugs one is taking.
Then you took 10 Panados and say "I just wanted to see if anything would happen".  What were you expecting to happen ? One or two Panado may help a headache : they are never entertaining.  Yes, the drug in overdose can cause serious liver damage, though probably not in the dose you mention.  It may not produce any effects you'd notice until considerably later. Then you did mention that this was taking an overdose "again".  Damage can be cumulative, so please work hard to find a different and more wholesome hobby.  Working sincerely with a skilled counsellor could hep you give up the bad habit and find more satisfying ways to live.
The best way to be sure if there has been any damage would be to admit to your doctor what you did, and he can check you physically, and if he thinks it necessary, can send you for  blood tests.  And from now on, be kinder to your liver.