Question
Posted by: Petro Meyer | 2020/02/06

I am over weight

I am 62 and will be soon 63, and I would like to come slimmer, and more healthy. my belly have put on weight , and want to lose it.

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2020/03/04

Thank you for writing to us at Health24.

There are several factors that influence our weight. It is important to have a controlled energy intake with increased activity as well as managing the types of foods that you consume, quantity and the timing of meals.

Manage your diet by monitoring your portion sizes. Try eat more lean meats like fish or chicken. Eat less red meat and eat more vegetarian meals. Having vegetarian meals will save you money as beans, chickpeas and lentils are cheaper than beef, pork or lamb. Bulk up your meals with lots of vegetables. Eat less junk food or take-aways and eat more homemade unprocessed foods. Drink less sugar sweetened drinks and eat less high sugar foods.

Try be more active by walking around your block daily for as long as you can manage. Slowly push yourself to walk faster or for a longer distance. Another thing you can do is put on music at home and dance to 5 of your favourite songs. Take the stairs in buildings and not the lifts.

The best advice would be to consult with a dietitian for an individualized eating plan where he or she will calculate your energy intake that you will need to achieve the results you want. A dietitian will guide you through your specific challenges and lifestyle needs to ensure sustainable weight loss. To find a registered dietitian near you visit the Association for Dietetics in South Africa’s website http://www.adsa.org.za/Public/FindARegisteredDietitian.aspx