Question
Posted by: Fatima | 2019/08/01

Looking for an orthopaedic surgeon

Hello. My son has had a really nasty big toe infection that took two months to get rid of infection. He now has a dead toe nail overlapping a new one, but it seems the dead one is totally embedded still. I need a second opinion on whether to get it removed or wait for it to fall off. However, it has now been six months and there is still no sign of it budging. I am scared this will affect the underlying nail and surrounding tissue. There is definitely discomfort/pain when the nail is moved or tramped on or knocked. GP says to get a second opinion. He has treated it as far as he could for the infection. Any advise will help. Thank you.

- 2019/08/06

Hi Fatima

Yes, I agree that you should get it treated, especially because of the discomfort. You can also go to a podiatrist, or an orthopaedic surgeon who is specifically specialized in working with feet. Good luck.