Question
Posted by: Ho | 2019/07/15

I always fart when I cough

Hi Doctor , recently I had a very bad cough and ever since I always fart when I cough. Sometimes my pee and poo also came out uncontrollably when I cough. I'm 48 years old and may I know can this be avoided and cured?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/07/23

You have bladder neck and anal sphincter incompetence.  It basically refers to weakness of the pelvic floor muscles.  I'm not sure if you are male or female but you need to see a urologist if you are male and an appropriate gynecologist if you are a female.  There are a range of things that could be done from muscle strengthening exercises, to pessaries, to different types of surgical interventions.  Your doctor can advise on the optimal treatment for you.