Posted by: Nadia | 2019/01/24

How to get pregnant after fallopian tubes been cut, permanent sterilization

I really need advice. I had my tubes cut in 2007 after the birth of my 3rd child. I am 34 now and would like to conceive again. What advice can I get? Is there a chance that it could grow back over the years. I usually get my menstrual cycle between the 5th and 7th of each month but yesterday 23/01/2019 I got strong heavy pains and cramps and a brownish discharge. Sharp pain at work. My husband is a very active person and likes to do it every night and over weekends two times a day. This morning I got the discharge but it goes away and am very comfortable. Please help

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert
- 2019/01/30

Dear Nadia,

It is rarely possible for the fallopian tubes to re-canulate after they are cut. This may occur if they are in close proximity to each other and if they were either only cut or only a very small segment was excised. As you had your sterilisation more than 11 years ago and you have not conceived I think it is safe to say that the tubes are no longer patent. You have two options; firstly, you could discuss the possibility of reversal with your gynaecologist. This may or may not be feasible as you mention that the tubes were cut, rather than clipped or tied. Bearing in mind that the success rate with reversal of sterilisation is not 100%, there remains a chance that even after a reversal, your tubes may still not be patent or functional. Your second option is Invitro fertilisation which is a procedure whereby fertilisation occurs outside of the body thereby bypassing the fallopian tubes.

Answered by Dr T Mohamed

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.