Question
Posted by: TiredMom | 2019/12/13

How to deal with an impossible teacher?

Hey Doc. It's been a while since I wrote last and now I'm having difficulty with my daughter's teacher yet again. To keep it short...here's a summary: Grade 0 - daughter did more school at home and hospital due to kidney issues Grade 1 - daughter didn't want to go to school. preferred having me teach her Grade 2 (current) - teacher seems to have a chip on her shoulder from the get go and I'm feeling lost. What the teacher says/does: - Daughter was bullied while teacher was not in class last year (shoved and ugly talk). Teacher said it was not true....but she wasn't even there! I put her on her place that time and we resolved the matter - Teacher constantly negates my daughter's point of view saying 'it's not true' or 'that didn't happen'...making my daughter out to be a liar. yes, she does fib but I see through her white lies and I always get to the truth - Teacher blamed my child and one other girl for cancelling the talent part of their Christmas party. In the end, the talent part is still ON but that day my daughter was in tears because all the kids blamed .HER because the teacher blamed her - that seems like bullying? - Teacher's husband passed away last week....she returned after just 1 week at home (not my fault she came back, she could have taken time off so honestly, I sympathize but I disagree with her returning so soon) - Daughter is seated at the back...complains she can't see the board...gets up to read the board and goes back to write. I'm SHOCKED she can keep up with the class!!! Teacher accuses her of not wanting to write or work along with the class. Child needs glasses. Tried telling the teacher, but she just interrupts me and talks over me Yesterday, I approached the teacher. I tried to ask her nicely to move my daughter to the front. She didn't let me speak. She very quickly interrupted me by saying that my child was not behaving yesterday. I told her that my daughter was probably nervous about an eye appointment and other lab tests scheduled for the next morning. I told her about the glasses being on order and to move my daughter to the front and left it at that. How can I deal with this woman? She just seems to have it out for my daughter and she gets annoyed if my daughter interrupts her BUT she interrupts ME! I find her very hypocritical and she also says one thing to one parent and something else to another - like she is senile or something. Can't change teachers - the rest are even WORSE :-/

- 2019/12/13

Hello TiredMom,  Welcome back,
Well, obviously the teacher can't opine on what happened when she was not there ! Maybe she's always been a nasty person ; maybe she's ordinarily nicer, but for some reason out of her depth with this class.  You say her husband died : maybe he's been sick and troubling for quite some time, and this has affected her badly. Maybe her nose is out of joint because you have been teaching your child ( even if for good reasons ) and feels you have no confidence in her.
But I'm puzzled by what type of school this is : can't you arrange to meet with the principal, to discuss your concerns ? 
If your child does have vision problems, betting the right glasses could make a great difference.  When I was in primary school, I started to become short-sighted, and when I got glasses, it transformed the situation for me