Question
Posted by: | 2020/09/19

How often can i take Grandpa's without raising a cause for concern?

I'm a University student, studying engineering from home as a result i'm looking at screens for hours on end and i'm very stagnant for most of the day. I get up and move here and there but when things get hectic, I'm practically a snail. I've found that I've adopted this tendency to take 1 Grandpa powder on a daily basis. I drink about 4 cups of coffee, daily, with a few litres of water. and about 2-3 meals a day. I'm a male, at 170 cm tall, 80kg and 21 years of age. Skipping gym is the last thing i want. I only take them when i get a headache. When things get quite i usually spend half the day trying to power through it, i assume it's coffee withdrawal symptoms. I usually avoid taking 2 in one day and just call it a night if i get a 2nd headache. Is it okay to be functioning like this? should i go consult a doctor? The headaches themselves are very blunt and are more of a nuisance then a debilitating pain. on a scale of 1-10 they would be a 4 and 6 on a bad day.

Expert ImageHeadache expert
- 2020/09/21

One of the main problems with taking painkillers for headaches though is that it often leads to Medication Overuse Headache (MOH). MOH is a problem that occurs in headache sufferers who have to take painkillers on a regular basis - the headaches become more frequent and more severe! Because of this, the patient increases the dosage and takes the drugs more often, and a vicious circle is set up, making the headaches worse and worse.

The answer therefore is not to rely on medication or painkillers! The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the causes of the headache. If the causes are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed. To learn more about the multidisciplinary assessment, please click here

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain. For more information on how the muscles can affect headaches, please click here. For more information on the involvement of the arteries in the pain please click here and here.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click here

To contact The Headache Clinic Johannesburg, call 0114840933, or e-mail to info@theheadacheclinic.net