Question
Posted by: Vanessa | 2018/06/20

High FSH and Low Overian Reserve

I have done blood test on the day my period has started and my FSH was 20. Does it really mean I have High FSH and Low Overian Reserve? Can I still do IVF? What is the treatment to lower FSH for an IVF success?

- 2018/07/06

A-   Dear Vanessa,

FSH values vary at different times in the menstrual cycle. An FSH value of 20 on day 1 of your cycle or the first day of your menstruation is high and can be an indication of low ovarian reserve. There are other tests to determine your ovarian reserve like AMH (Anti Mullerian hormone) level and AFC (antral follicle count). It is still possible for you to have IVF even if your reserves are low, however it may decrease the likelihood of the procedure being successful. If your reserves are thought to be extremely low the possibility of donor oocytes option may be offered to you. I advise that you consult a fertility specialist for further work-up.

Answered by Dr Tasneem Mohamed