Question
Posted by: Hassan | 2018/09/25

Tests

Hi, I received unprotected oral sex and deep kissing from a female friend. We both took HIV tests 6 weeks after(determine and global) and the results came back negative for us both. But I am having symptoms such as mild sore throat and pains on sides of my tongue that will not go away (on and off for more than 2 weeks), a few swollen nodes on my left armpit, this has subsided. Can our tests be relied upon @ the 6 weeks mark? Whats with these symptoms I am having? Thank you.

- 2018/10/01

Hi Hassan

Yes, you can rely on the tests. It is recommended to test again at 3 months. The symptoms might be completely unrelated, or you might have contracted another viral illness such as Epstein-Barr virus (glandular fever). If the symptoms do not want go away and you develop more swollen glands, rather go to the doctor to be tested. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.