Question
Posted by: Ray | 2018/10/17

Hand/thumb injury?

I've fell a couple times on my thumb while playing soccer around 6 months ago. At the time, I didn't think much of it as I figured it would heal given some time. Although most of the pain has subsided from those incidents, I still feel a bit of pain and resistance at the base of my thumb when trying to flex my thumb all the way. A couple weeks ago (October 4, 2018), I was hit again on my thumb and it bent backwards and down (hyperabduction I believe). Examining it bilaterally compared to my other hand, my right thumb was displaced further down, and I immediately suspected something to be wrong. I went to urgent care where they took an X-ray and said that there were no dislocations or fractures. Two weeks later, the pain has subsided but it definitely looks displaced still. I believe I may have torn my UCL, but I also believe there may be some other damage I'm unaware of. I realize that you're an expert for bones, but I figured you might have some information regarding this. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones
- 2018/10/25

Hi Ray

this is a bit beyond my scope of expertise, but it could be that with all the injuries you've had that some scar tissue could have formed around the finger joints and this can possibly cause it to look a little deformed or displaced.
Just my opinion though - if it really bothers you ask your GP to refer you to a hand surgeon.