Question
Posted by: | 2015/01/23

Hair so fine

Helloooooo.... so I've had really fine hair my whole life. Not only is it fine, but I don't have a lot of it. Scalp shows through everywhere. I can tie a hairband around my ponytail a million times. I have tried almost EVERYTHING to make it look better and while I can get it shiny, I can't seem to get more of it. I tried Alcod and it made no difference. I tried Nu Hair and if anything my hair looked WORSE. I am currently using a combo spray- placenta, bay rum, bergamot oil and rosemary oil. I'm not taking any supplements. I've read that take pregnancy vitamins help a lot. Is this true? Is there anything you can recommend?

Expert ImageVitamin Expert
- 2015/01/27

Good day.

It is clear from your email that you are committed to do what needs to be done to have the best condition hair - well done for all your efforts. 
Fine hair can be affected by hormones and sometimes genetics. Other than taking a good multivitamin (a multivitamin for Hair Skin & Nails is better than Pregnancy Multivit, but both are good). I would advise to take a multivitamin for Hair Skin & Nails and add a Folic & B12 Complex as this supports growth of hair.
Other than continuing to do what you can to promote healthy hair, it is important to avoid any heat treatments / colour treatments and also not to tie your hair too tightly.
I can relate with your challenge, I too battle with this and realise in my case genetics plays a big role - no nutrition therapy can make more and thicker hairs grow if your genetic profile is fixed on sparse thin hairs. However, if that it is the case, the motivation is even greater to do your best to preserve what you have. Cutting your hair into a shorter style may help. All the best and kind regards, 
Andrea du Plessis