Posted by: | 2016/01/12


Hi there. I suspect I may be suffering from GAD. I am constantly worried, about anything and everything. When leaving the shops I check my handbag on several occasions, just because I am worried I may have left it there, even though I know I didn't. I struggle to sleep at night because my brain just won't switch off. I worry about what people said about/to me during the day. I worry about things that might happen. Will my GP be able to help me as my medic aid does not cover psychologist/psychiatrists.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink
- 2016/01/14

From your description, it does indeed sound as though you may be suffering from an Anxiety Disorder, which should respond well to treatment, and which a good GP should indeed be able to help you to control.  As for medications, although popular sedative tranquilizers can indeed usually provide rapid relief of major symptoms, they don't work so usefully in the long term, and can cause dependency problems.  Better are the drugs also used to treat Depression,  which can better relieve the symptoms in the longer term, even if their results show more gradually and less dramatically.
A non-drug method which has excellent benefits is a particular form of counselling called CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ), but that would require the help of a properly trained clinical psychologist or counsellor.  I am sad to hear that your medical aid is so stupid ( as unfortunately many are ) as not to provide cover for psychiatrists / psychologists,  as this must needlessly increase their costs in providing less effective treatment than people need.  Sadly also the Government has often failed to provide the equality in treatment of psychological and physical illnesses they at one time promised to do, but do check out whether your local medical school ( often still a good bet ) or major provincial hospital can provide such counselling.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.