Question
Posted by: | 2019/11/17

First visit to psychologist

My wife will be seeing a psychologist for the first time shortly. Apparently her doctor feels that she needs to address certain issues. I would like to be supportive and am a little unsure how I should be involved. Should I go along with her (without sitting in on the interview)? Should I ask questions as to how it went or just wait for her to let me know? she does not communicate well & I invariably have to ask whenever she sees a medical practitioner. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

- 2019/11/18

An excellent and laudable question. If we want to encourage and support her autonomy, why not ask her ?  You could say that you wish to be as supportive and helpful as possible, and want to take your lead from her.  Ask : Would she like you to accompany her to the psychologist's office ?  You can say this is not because you intend to join  the session, unless she and the psychologist suggest this, but just to be with her, and lend some emotional support.  You can say you'll be pleased to let her manage the sessions as she wishes, and follow whatever advice the psychologist suggests, and will be prepare to join her in some sessions if she and her psychologist at any time think this would be useful for her.  You might say that if she finds it hard to express herself fully to the psychologist, then IF she thinks you could help, then you would be available to do so, but you have confidence in her and her ability to do so on her own.
You can say that of course you;ll be interested in how well things are going, but leave it to her to tell you if she so wishes.
Do feel free to return to this forum and to let us know how things go.