Question
Posted by: Blurs | 2018/12/04

Feeling philosophical

Hi Prof ! Hope you are doing well. Well Well, can you believe it I am not writing from a deep , dark place.. I am actually doing extremely well. I am just feeling a little bit philosophical , and who better to get philosophical with than you ! I was driving in the car yesterday, and it struck me, I suppose the world needs weird , eccentric people but why ??.. Being one myself... I am ditsy , I strive in organized chaos, I lose stuff everyday , I am loud and I am different .. So it got me thinking why would the world need weird eccentric people , if we are being frowned upon as " not normal " I suppose the philosophical part is, should one change to fit in with the " norm " or stay true to one self ? And truly why does eccentric people exist in the first place ? I am losing track here, any who Prof get philosophical with me :-)

- 2018/12/05

Hi Blurs,
Pleased to hear you're feeling better.  Just keep an eye open for the possibility of sometimes feeling TOO good, which can at times turn out to be a manic episode. and while these can feel quite fun for a while, one can also come to grief in them. They may be worth discussing with your doc just to check. I remember working with a banker in London who while feeling far better than he should, had a bright idea and cornered the entire world market in Pig Bristle.  Apparently this is a by-product once used to make shaving brushes. He was surprised to find how easy this was to achieve : then discovered it was in fact worthless,  as his mood returned to normal.  It took him months to find ways to get rid of it.
Eccentric people are like the spice and herbs of life.  Imagine how horribly dull life would be without them ! Mind you, with  nothing BUT them, life might be more unhelpfully chaotic.   Like herbs and spices, the trick is balance, and getting the doses right.
Whether it's wise to be more or less "normal" depends on setting.  What's "normal" to the Trumps of this world, isn't something worth being.  It's usually worth staying true to yourself, so long as you're not Hannibal Lector or a Saudi Crown Prince.