Question
Posted by: | 2020/06/23

Feeling despondent

I have been working for this company for about 2 years now, and initially everything was okay until i found out that if you are favoured by the seniors you salary will reflect that. I was appointed and then someone appointed 6 months after me doing the same job but on a higher salary.I questioned it and was given some stupid reason as to why that was. I then got a promotion and my salary is still lower than staff members who are on a lower levels than me. When i asked why, again it was a reason that doesnt make sense. I then escalated my concerns to the Managing Director and it was brushed aside. We have an Employment Equity commitee which I am a member of and even escalated this to the committee and again Im not getting feedback. I am not talking about a small amount of money. I have become completely demotivated. i have no desire to wake up and continue doing this job. I am no longer interested bringing new ideas to the table because i wont financially gain from it. Again i raised the issues and my concerns are just falling on deaf ears. What can i do? I cannot afford to leave my job as I am a single parent.

- 2020/06/26

Hello
Sadly, there are far too many companies as badly run and managed as the one you are describing. Of course this is deeply discouraging.  Competent managers ( a rare species ) would not allow this to happen or continue ; there should be a competent HR or similar group both to prevent this and to remedy it when it arises.  It'd be interesting to hear from other readers about their own experiences, and with suggestions about what's best to do.
Simply leaving would surely be a problem.  But one can look around for alternative jobs in the same field, where you would be treated better. .
One doesn't want to suggest that you ignore the injustice and mistreatment.  Maybe you could consult the Department of Labour, and/or a good labour lawyer ; and/or a relevant trades union in your field, for advice about your basic rights and how best to defend them.