Question
Posted by: Yash Rungta | 2018/05/22

Extremely High Eosinophills count(Eosinophilla)

Hello, I do not remember the medical reports from my younger days. But all my blood tests done in the last 3 years have reported a extremely high count of Eosinophills. A normal count I think is somewhere between 0.0-0.5 but my eosinophills is always around 3.0. In 4 different blood tests, it has ranged from 2.6 to 3.3, with the latest one showing 3.1. I always get cold and cough very easily. In cold season and/or when in heavily polluted areas, I'm almost sure to catch a cold. In fact, when I previously stayed in Mumbai(one of the most polluted cities of the world), I would have a cold and cough 365 days a year and it would only aggravate in Winter. Now I've moved to Sydney in Australia where the pollution is less. The problem of coughing has reduced but not gone totally. And in Winter it gets worse. What can I do to bring my Eosinophills count under control?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2018/05/24

Dear Yash,

There are many causes of high eosinophil counts.  These range with allergy-related diseases like asthma and eczema to chronic parasitic infections, e.g. worms, certain to autoimmune diseases, and reaction to certain drugs.  There are also rare unclear causes of a high eosinophil count.  You should see a physician in Sydney (someone who specialises in internal medicine) and they can work through this and come up with a diagnosis.  Bronchial asthma is one of the things that should definitely be excluded and may explain many of your symptoms.  Good luck!