Question
Posted by: Darren Carter | 2018/12/12

Emergency Units @ Hospitals and Medical Aids

I would like to know why (as it would seem) the emergency units at hospitals never seem to be "contracted with the medical aid". Where I have been admitted to the hospital through an emergency unit, I am always surprised with a HUGE bill from the emergency unit months later, with the excuse that they are "not contracted with the medical aid. And I have to pay out of my own pocket and claim back from the medical aid, hoping that they do not find some excuse to not pay out. Surely these practices should be forced to comply and contract with the medical aids, or is this just another way to extort money from people seeking medical assistance?

- 2018/12/12

Hi Darren
I understand your frustration because I have also been on the receiving end (with my kids) of many emergency room visits. The best thing that you can do is to know exactly what your medical aid pays for and what not. Also, try and get some gap cover to cover those areas that the medical aid does not pay for. But once again, this is very frustrating. Remember that if there is a real emergency you need to go to the closest hospital and your medical aid has to cover this (as far as I know). Good luck . And maybe you should shop around for a better medical aid.