Posted by: | 2019/07/29

Ek vermoed my man is dood aan nalatigheid van dr en hospitaal.

Hy is in hospitaal opgeneem met hartaanval en is vermoedelik n allergie insp of drip gegee nadat ek genoem het die medikasie waarvoor hy allergies was. Ek het die medikasie wat hul vir hom in die hospitaal toegedien het aangevra en is n generiese middel wat gebruik is. Dit het gebeur in n ander provinsie terwyl ons op verlof was. Hy het sy bene en arms in die lug gegooi en sy oe was groot. Het n respirator ingehad en kon nie praat nie. Wat moet ek doen? 

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink
- 2019/07/30

Hi, This must have been very upsetting for you.  Many people die from a heart attack, even if really well treated, so we can't conclude that he was treated badly just because he didn't survive the heart attack.  Heart attacks aren't pleasant to have or for people like you who love the person suffering the attack, to see.
Yes, indeed, things can sometimes go wrong ; even when the staff are careful, but in my experience, both as a doctor and as a patient, they usually get the medication right, but do badly at explaining to the patient and family, what is going on.  When someone dies, even if you tried really hard to save them, doctors and nurses often do feel bad, and may feel reluctant to talk about it, but I believe it is their duty to take the time to sit with the spouse and family and talk about what happened, and why, and to answer and discuss the questions the family might have.
It's not likely that the fact that one of the meds he was given was generic, would have caused problems.  If the right drug was chosen, a generic version is supposed to have been tested and proved to be equivalent to the original drug with a different trade name, but with the advantage of being cheaper. 
It's a bit complicated that this happened when you were visiting another province, because it's not practical for you to have gone back to the hospital within days, to talk more about your concerns.  Returning after some time, now, may not be so useful, as busy staff don't easily remember all the little details that might concern you.
Maybe it'd help to see a counsellor familiar with medical problems, to discuss all this, so you can put your mind at rest.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anonymous | 2019/08/13

I think you should consult an attorney and get hold of his file/ward notes but I struggled to get these and in my case they had been doctored excuse the pun. So, chat to an attorney or medical counselor first - don't give the hospital any indication that you are going to make an enquiry. Words cannot express my sincere condolences and understanding of your loss. I hope you find peace soon.

Reply to Anonymous

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.