Posted by: | 2018/06/04

Eczema in ear drives me crazy

I saw my GP after months of a tormentingly itchy inner ear. The itch would get so bad that I would cause my ear to bleed by rubbing it too much. I also started to notice that I had lots of fluid leaking from my ear and would wake up in the morning with thin, dried, flaking crust on the outer ear canal. My GO said my ear drum looks fine, no tears. He did say that my ear drum looks similar to one that is chronically congested over extended periods of time, which would be true for me, though I haven't really had ear infections. Anyway, he said I have a patch of eczema in my ear, and that eczema tends to weep after being itched. He told me to use a mixture of half distilled white vinegar and half rubbing alcohol, putting 2 drops of this mixture in my ear each day after a shower. I have been doing this for two weeks, but the itch is so unbearable, it is embarrassing when around other people and I just need to itch my ear constantly. Sometimes I carefully use a q tip to scratch it, but I much prefer the plastic clinere ear wax tool. To be clear, I am not gouging it down my ear, and i don't care about getting the wax out. It's all about that dang itch. The plastic fins will relieve the sensation to itch for several hours, which is awesome, but it also causes me to bleed more often than other methods (finger, q tip, rubbing) and then burns when I put my drops in. Help! I have to find some relief for the eczema in my ear. I just can't take it!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc
- 2018/06/06


No, please stop with the drops, it is making it worse. There is a very good ointment/cream for eczema of the outer ear canal - quadriderm. Please ask your GP if that ointment is still available and if you can get a prescription for it, if he thinks it will be appropriate. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon! 

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.