Question
Posted by: Randy LeBlanc | 2018/09/18

Dull ache after large subcapsular renal hematoma

I suffered a very large, 20 cm x 18cn x 13cm subcapsular hematoma as a result of a cycling accident in June of 2017. I was in ICU for 2 days as my red blood cell count dropped to 6.9. I had no blood in my urine and no signs of increased blood pressure. The urologist chose to let the hematoma resolve on its own, and it slowly began to do so. After initial recovery of about 12 weeks, the hematoma had shrunk to about 12 x 10 x 8 cm and the Urologist released me back to full mobility. All the during the recovery, I felt a dull thud, sometimes it's a very mild ache, in my abdomen. The best analogy that I can imagine is that someone is lightly poking me in the side with their finger, just below the rib cage and seemingly, slightly above the kidney. It behaves more like a muscle strain than anything else. I am, once again, an avid cyclist, amassing nearly 200 miles / per week. When I'm active, and warmed up, the dull thud is gone. It is most present on rest days, when I'm sitting at my desk, or sitting in general. My last visit with the urologist, in June, revealed that the hematoma has shrunk to about 5-6 cm, measured with a sonogram, 1 year after the accident. Blood, urine, & blood pressure are all normal and the urologist seems to shrug off the dull thud, without an explanation for it, however. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Scar tissue from the hematoma, perhaps? Thanks

- 2018/09/20

Hi Randy

The kidney has "stretch receptors" and not pain receptors. The fact that the capsule of the kidney is still stretched might be the cause of the dull sensation/awareness in your abdomen and it might be present for a while still because of the gradual way in which the hematoma is resolving. It would be great if one could rule out that there is nothing else wrong in the abdomen, but then one will have to have a ct scan done at least. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.