Question
Posted by: | 2020/01/24

Does cough impact cervix dilation during pregnancy?

Does cough impact cervix dilation during pregnancy? if yes coughing after cerclage also impacts risk to pregnancy? I am 20 weeks pregnant and had a cerclage because my cervix was dilated by 4cm. I have still been coughing after cerclage and feel that the cervix was dilated because of cough. I am working on reducing my cough but wanted to know if this impacts my risk of miscarrying the baby.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2020/01/30

Questions regarding the baby and miscarriage should be directed to your obstetrician.  My concern is more about why you are having a chronic cough?  This is not normal.  Common causes include chronic hay fever and a post-nasal drip, acid reflux disease (which can be more severe in pregnancy), and sometimes other causes like asthma, or perhaps taking specific types of medication.  You need to clarify this with your doctor.