Question
Posted by: Just wondering | 2018/09/21

Enough protein

I had to lose some weight which I successfully did. I am now on my ideal weight and do not want to get too skinny and trying to eat more protein and do strength exercises every day. I also do a lot of walking and hiking over weekends. I have a drink of water, lemon, cucumber, mint and ginger every morning on an empty stomach. I also have a smoothie with an orange, carrot, apple, beetroot and ginger in the mornings. For breakfast I have oats, with honey, cinnamon and low fat plain yogurt, 2 boiled eggs or tuna (if I do not have it for lunch). For lunch I normally have an avocado or tomato and cucumber salad with a chicken breast or tuna in water. For dinner I have something like mince and rice, chicken a'la king, spaghetti bolognaise. About twice a week meat and vegetables.. My questions are.. 1)Do I get enough protein 2) Are the smoothies in the morning enough vitamins etc or should I try to eat more vegetables and fruit. I do have a banana or two per day as well...

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2018/10/09

1. Looking at the history you have given you are definitely getting enough protein, possibly even a little too much protein. Remember that your body only needs a certain amount of protein and anything in excess will get stored as fat. Your oats breakfast option would be best as you can eat tuna or cottage cheese for lunch, oats are a high fibre breakfast cereal that can keep your satisfied for quite some time. I would suggest choosing a lighter protein option such as fish, cottage cheese, eggs or legumes at lunch and then have fish, meat o chicken for dinner. 

2. The smoothie in the morning is great, just watch portion sizes of the fruit that you use and you can alternate it with other fruit and veg such as doing a green smoothie alternative. I think you get enough fruit in the day - you should aim for 2-3 fruit and at least 3 veg per day. You need to include more vegetables in your diet, bulk up your salads with extra veg such as broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, pumpkin etc - you can use tomato and cucumber as a base but these salad veg don't sustain you for very long.