Posted by: Nakes | 2018/11/18

Divorce and best for kids

My husband has agreed to divorce, we have 2 homes. We are married in COP but he wants me to move with the kids to the 2nd house which the kids 3 and 6 years do not know. I am prepared to move as I do not want arguments about possessions as it has started already. However I need to stay in a flat for about 3-6/months before I can occupy the house due to the Tennant living arrangement in place. What would be best for the kids? Have not told kids about the divorce, want to sort out living before telling them. How does moving homes twice impact the kids on top of explaining the divorce. I need help in managing this as my husband is more concerned about his own needs and wants right now. He is not prepared to move out as he wants the house we have been living in. Even if I am entitled to 50/50 I really just want to sort out my children and do what's best for them and forgo any possessions.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink
- 2018/11/19

Hello Nakes,
Obviously you need good legal advice. You could spend a lot of time discussing what might be desirable, but for this to be useful, it needs to be based on legal facts of what could be obtained.  I would expect any court to take very seriously the best interests of the children, above the wishes of your husband or even yourself.
That might need an assessment in discussion with the children, by a child psychologist, of course needing them to know what's going on.  There may be respectable reasons for each of you to stay in the present main house, but his reasons for being apparently adamant about this, but to require his children to make 2 moves, just to suit his own wishes, may not be seen by the court as an overwhelming reason for agreeing.
Consult a good lawyer to inform yourself of the rights of yourself and the children, and then discuss what is desirable and practical.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.