Question
Posted by: KV | 2018/12/03

Digestive problems

Hi Doctor, I am a 34 year old woman, not overweight, non smoker, no caffeine or soft drinks. I take a ppi, Wellbutrin, Espiride, Yaz and trepiline. I have had digestive problems for years. 10 years ago, ibs and lactose intolerance started. 7 years ago GERD started, and 10 months ago, gastritis started. I have eliminated gluten, dairy, spices, acidic food, chocolate and ALL the usual triggers. I have found that despite all these changes I still have heartburn and chronic gastritis as well as the odd bout of ibs-d. My last endoscopy showed “chronic non active inflammation” a small hernia and changes in the cells at the EG junction. Why am I getting worse? I literally am doing nothing wrong. Nowadays, fruits, like apples pears and bananas all cause heartburn, please tell me what more I must do? I’m too young to be this sick.

- 2018/12/05

I agree, you are too young to be having so many digestive problems. Have you been tested for auto-immune diseases and other food intolerance diseases? I suggest that you try and find a very good gastroenterologist, if you have not done so already. The other possibility is that some of the meds that you are using are either causing the symptoms or making it worse, so I suggest that you discuss this option with your prescribing doctor. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.