Question
Posted by: Chris Victor | 2018/05/05

Diet Plan for condition of limited kidney function due to nephrostomy

Stents have been inserted in kidneys as a result of the kidneys not functioning at the required level due also to carcinoma of the bladder. The level of calium is also of some concern at the moment (less than 5) and is currently on Kexalate 15g 3/per day. My concern is however, eating the correct food, i.e. meat veggies fruit milk yoghurt etc. I am 83 years old. Please advise Diet Plan

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2018/05/21

Hi there, thanks so much for your message. 

Due to your complicated medical history, it would be unethical to give generalized nutrition advice via this type of platform. You require a dietitian with a special interest in renal nutrition to assist you with an individualized meal plan. He/she will take into account your medical history, lifestyle, anthropometry (body measurements), current blood results and dietary history to make specific recommendations. Please ask your nephrologist/ oncologist to refer you to the dietitian he/she works with for best results. Thanks!