Question
Posted by: | 2018/05/17

Diabetic partner, will I conceive?

My partner is diabetic and he's 51yrs old, will I be able to conceive?

- 2018/05/22

Dear Anonymous,

Diabetes in the male partner will not likely affect his semen quality or quantity directly. Long-standing uncontrolled diabetes may however cause other sexual problems for example erectile dysfunction which can affect a couple’s ability to conceive through natural intercourse. There is literature which shows that increasing age does negatively affect sperm quality and testicular function and hence a male’s ability to conceive. However, this decline in fertility potential is much less rapid in males than in females with advancing age and if there is no other factors a male of 51 years should still have adequate sperm parameters to conceive. So, in short, as long as you (the female partner) have no fertility issues, you should be able to conceive.

Answered by Dr Tasneem Mohamed