Question
Posted by: | 2020/03/23

Covid-19 - Volunteer Worker

I am 75 and my wife 68 years old & therefor considered high risk for Covid-19. My wife works as a volunteer in the office of a charitable institution which deals with terminally ill people. Despite us both agreeing to self-isolate to reduce our chances of getting the virus she insists on doing her weekly stint at the charity, where she comes into contact with people, not many, but some of whom are nursing sisters and who knows who they come into contact with while doing their rounds?! This is stressing me because I think she is putting us both at risk! What are your thoughts? Thanks.

- 2020/03/26

You are probably right.  And it sounds as though it isn't really necessary for her to attend the office in person,  and, depending on her specific duties, she could well be able to work from home ( supposing she has home access to a computer with internet connection ) ; and perhaps might be able to visit the office, if this is considered essential, at night or weekend, at times when she would not be in contact with people who do have direct contact with patients. 
Presumably the office has the sense to keep high hygienic standards, including the sterilizing of surfaces.  It's also important to avoid anything that might increase the risk that anyone working in the office might pick up the virus and via the nurses, transmit to to these highly vulnerable patients.
It may well be that which she is generously donating her work as a volunteer, she may greatly value getting to the office and socializing.
Over all,  she, and maybe you with her, need to discuss this with the administration of the office.