Question
Posted by: Hannie | 2020/01/15

Could I have damaged one of the veins in my pelvic area by falling off a chair ?

5 days ago I stood on a chair and fell off .A knob on top of the chair bumped me quite hard between my legs in my pelvic area. Part of the inside of my leg turned black within minutes and spread halfway to my knee. It is now turning yellow. Since yesterday I feel a bump/lump where the chair-knob bumped me. The area is still tender when I sit down. Should I worry about it or will it disappear ? I have not seen a doctor nor have taken any medication for this. I am a healthy 59 year old female with no health problems.

- 2020/01/22

Hi Hannie
That must have been very painful! It sounds as if a superficial vein was injured and this is the black bruising that you see. If the bump is pulsating/throbbing at all or growing bigger, and there is new black or red discolouration of the skin, rather go back to the doctor. Otherwise, the bump is probably a hematoma that will resolve on its own, and this can take weeks to months. Please, if you are worried at all, rather go to the doctor. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.