Question
Posted by: Fredelene | 2020/08/04

Copper IUD and Hormonal Acne relationship

Good afternoon doc I have been on acne treatment for almost 1 year now. I had a 2 month break in between due to covid-19 lockdown restrictions and movement. Before the break my skin improved even though I had an occasional break out whilst on the meds and my dermatologist was also very impressed with the results. During the break I started breaking out again from 0 with all the hard work going to waste. It's been over a month since Im back on my acne treatment and the progress is very slow this time round. My concern is that I am taking antibiotics every day for almost a year. Can you suggest any other alternatives for my hormonal acne. The acne started 6 months after I stopped taking the hormonal hormonal pill. I replaced the pill with a copper IUD. Do you think the acne could be related to the IUD itself since it just resurfaced when I took a break from acne treatment? Would zinc supplements help or should I just go back to my hormonal contraceptives without removing the IUD? Acne treatment meds: Tetralysal 300mg Epiduo benzoyl peroxide gel Zineryt lotion Thank you

- 2020/08/13

The IUCD would not cause acne. If you are sure that it is hormonal, then a Pill such as Diane-35 may be helpful but, as you have been seeing a dermatologist, I would suggest that you discuss further management with him/her. If you do go back on the Pill, the IUCD would not be necessary for contraception so you could have it removed.