Question
Posted by: M Nel | 2018/05/17

Connection between shock and bloodsugar levels?

I hit my finger in the car door this morning, except for the finger pain, I felt fine. But a couple minutes later I felt extremely lightheaded, nauseous, freezing cold, could not see(VERY blurry vision) or hear very well. First aid teacher gave me chocolate and said my blood sugar dropped because of the shock of hitting my finger. I also had not eaten breakfast this morning. I went home and tested my blood sugar (about three hours after the incident) but oddly my blood sugar was at 7.4. So did the bloodsugar suddenly spike in the three hours or was my bloodsugar never low? Also, is the bloodsugar connected to the "shock" of hitting my finger or was it completely unrelated? Thank you.

- 2018/05/21

Yes, this could have been a reaction to the shock - but it is more likely that your blood pressure dropped and not your blood sugar. Either way, it is one's body's way of responding to the shock. If you do have diabetes, then it could very likely have been the blood sugar that dropped after the incident and then spiked again after the chocolate to a value of 7.4. I hope your finger is okay? Good luck.