Question
Posted by: FG | 2019/01/23

Confused

Hi, I am on Cilift 40mg per day for about 15 years. On 15 December 2018 I was feeling tired and poorly and went to my GP. She said the tiredness wasn't actually a cause of coming down with something (Physical) rather mental fatigue. I had difficulty sleeping as well. She prescribed me Stillnox MR and Epitec 50 mg. Both to be taken at night. In the beginning it felt like it was working and made me feel better. Then I started to take the Stilnox only every 2nd evening, because I don't want to get addicted, but then I would struggle to sleep and wake at night with a feeling of extreme anxiousness. My chest felt tight and my breathing was rapid. I called her and she said to not skip a night of the Stillnox. I continued taking both and however I feel better I don't want to take the Stillnox forever. I googled it and apparently the side effects of prolonged use is not good, like memory loss. Last night though I took the Stillnox as usual but I couldn't get to sleep and was awake a few times. Also I seem to forget tiny things and it seems like I have more trouble with my sight (I am shortsighted) I know my story is long and maybe confusing, but I want to know, should I rather take the Epitec with the Cilift in the morning, or should I continue as I do now and how long should I use both meds before I get addicted?

- 2019/01/24

It's the Epitec that puzzles me.  I would not use it for sleep problems. It's a drug used for epilepsy, and also in treating properly diagnosed Bipolar Disorder. On the whole, I'd not expect it to be used by GP's, except where a psychiatrist has diagnosed Bipolar and recommended its use.   Maybe it;d be a good idea to get a second opinion from a specialist psychiatrist, to be sure.
Also consider CBT counselling, which is good for helping people gain control of their own depression and anxiety