Question
Posted by: Agnes Selway | 2020/06/22

Chronic coughing for 5 yrs

I had a severe flu 5yrs ago. I developed rheumatoid arthritis and have fits of coughing since. Docs tried zantac,tums, sinus rinses. Certain environmental circumstances,like heavy perfume,smoke in the air,certain flower fragrances. ,triggers coughing fits(sometimes til I throw up). An allergy testing showed that I’m not allergic to common things. In the mornings I do have a lot of post nasal drip...sleeping is ok though. Some relief with Delsum and cold and sinus Advil ....nothing I can count on...

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2020/06/29

There are many causes of chronic cough, especially if you have rheumatoid arthritis.  Post-nasal drip itself is a important cause of chronic cough that could explain most of your symptoms.  Other common causes may include acid coming up the food pipe (GORD).  The possibility of lung involvement from rheumatoid arthritis cannot be excluded, including other conditions like asthma.  I suggest that you consult a respiratory specialist who can work through these possibilities and provide a sensible way forward.