Question
Posted by: Nikki1913 | 2019/09/19

Chronic Cough and Prozac

I have been on 20mg for almost a year and I am just realizing the chronic cough I have been struggling with may actually be linked to the medication. I often feel like I have sandpaper in my throat. It flares up out of nowhere or can be triggered with inhaling plain old air, or when I spray perfume or it can be triggered when trying to eat. It is miserable. My doctor has given my steroids, rx cough medication, reflux meds, allergy meds etc. and nothing is helping. Have any suggestions? I am not getting much sleep and I'm driving my coworkers nuts!

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/09/23

There are many causes of chronic cough including post-nasal drip and acid coming up the food pipe.  An easy way to check this out is to stop your Prozac for a week.  If your symptoms markedly improve and then restart when you start Prozac again then you've answered the question.