Question
Posted by: Marie | 2019/02/19

Chest and back spasms:

I was coughing severely during a short respiratory flu illness, and now am having spasms at various points in my torso. I took an oral magnesium supplement, and soaked in a tub with Epsom salts, but that brought only temporary relief before the short nerve-type spasm pains returned. The spasms last a second or so but happen once or twice every minute or two in alternating spots in my torso. What can I do for relief, as though the cough has subsided, the spasms keep me from sleeping. Thank you.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/02/21

It's most likely that you've pulled one of your intercostal muscles.  You can keep doing what you are doing right now and also try some anti-inflammatories and paracetamol.  It will gradually get better.