Question
Posted by: | 2019/05/20

Chest Pain After Bronchitis Treatment

Good day I went to the doctor twice for treatment of a chest infection which was assumed to be bronchitis. The first time I had it treated as bacterial with antibiotics and cortisone nebules amongst other medications. I got no better my chest was still tight, I had muscle weakness and general fatigue, I completely lost my voice. The second doctor determined it was viral and similar to an asmathic chest after which I was treated with zithromycin and prednisone. I have finished the treatment and whilst I feel better I still have a sore chest, muscle weakness and fatigue, shortness of breath. My voice however has returned. Are the symptoms concerning enough to go back to the doctor or will it just take time to go away? I was also given an asthavent pump to assist.

- 2019/05/21

After having a serious chest infection, it can take a few weeks or more to feel completely better, and it is especially the cough that takes a long time to go away. The asthavent pump should assist with this 'reactive post-viral cough'. If, however, you start to feel worse - such as the cough getting worse, or you becoming feverish, or more and more tired - then you should rather go back to the doctor. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.