Question
Posted by: Annie | 2019/09/19

Chest Pain

Hi Doc. I woke this morning with awful chest pain. Felt like it was a little hard to breath. I know its not heart attack as there are no other heart attack symptoms and the pain has been there all day. Its kind of on the whole top of my chest from left to right. The middle of may back and shoulder blades too. Its worse when lying down and breathing deeply. And now in the later part of the day I have a lot of wind like burping. The pains are still there from the morning. I have a BP machine at home as my husband has history of high BP. I checked it numerous times today and its perfect at around 118/78. So it cannot be heart related but its also not bad enough to feel like anything lung related. Im usually really healthy. I have had an abscess in my nose recently which caused swelling and severe pain. I had 1 quick round of IV antibiotics and went home after and continued oral antibiotics at home. I finished the course but was feeling better the very next day anyway. I started Duromine again this past Monday (used it for 2 months but was very broken up over about 4 months and got the last one recently) I just thought I would mention that. Other than that I am usually very healthy with no issues. This pain in chest and back is getting worse now though. Any ideas please?

- 2019/09/23

Hi Annie
It is possible that the pain could be caused by the Duromine. Stop the Duromine for a while and see if it makes a difference. I would also suggest that you do have an ECG, to make sure that your heart is okay. Even though the blood pressure is fine, there might be other signs on the ECG indicating a heart problem. There is also the possibility that the pain could be related to the muscles of the chest wall, or even to the diaphragm, where there could be a hiatus hernia causing the pain. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon. 

1
Posted by: ANNIE | 2019/09/20

Update: I felt a bit better when I awoke this morning but have been having pain periodically on and off the whole day in my right shoulder, shoulder blade and just to the left of sternum sort of on the inside of breast. These pains are achy sometimes and sharp other times. The sternum pain is sharp like shooting pains. They also come and go. I am starting to think it may all be muscular and maybe a visit to a chiropractor may help?

Reply to ANNIE