Question
Posted by: J | 2019/12/11

Charlie horse spasms above ankles at night - how to prevent?

I am a morbidly obese female, 298 lbs on 5ft frame. I have recently started a bariatric diet and losing weight, I do take potassium, vitamin D, calcium and emergen C. I use a cpap. Lately I have been getting what feels like charlie horse spasms right above my ankles, also during the day the top of my feet get puffy. My body weight yoyo's between lupus flare ups. I lost 150lbs a few years ago, gained it back and on track to lose it again. (when the flare ups happen I cannot get out of bed until I take cellcept which basiclly restarts my immune system and fixes it) --- Are the spasms and feet swelling something I should be seeing a dr? I cant afford to pay $60 copay to be told to lose weight. Are there any other tips to help prevent them?

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2020/01/12

It will be good to see a doctor to check if the spasms are weight related The doctors at the public hospitals are very resonable in price To lose successfully a large amount of weight is difficult especially on your own as you mentioned to stay on track when Lupus flare up is hard Contact a dietitian in your are www.adsa.org.za to help you with motivation and support as well as helping you to find and practice solutions to the barriers to compliance She can also evaluhelp you