Question
Posted by: Louis | 2018/03/18

Challenges and better management of Bipolar 2 disorder?

My wife has been diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder for almost ten years now she is using Welburn sx; Epitec 200 and Dopaquel 25. Dopaquel was increase last year to 2*25 at night. Since we do not have a medical aid she can not regularly visit a psychiatrist. She also lost her libido in total. I want to know with all the side effects of all the medication is their any research done on the necessary vitamins etc. That can help neutralise all these negative effects of the medication? Any natural medicine or dietary requirements? Where do one find this information?

- 2018/03/19

Hi Louis,
Let's see : Wellbutrin is a trade name for the antidepressant Bupropion, and loss of libido is quite a common side-effect. Maybe she's using the SR ( sustained or slow release ) version .  Epitec is a trade name for the drug lamotrigine, a mood-stabilizer,  which reduces the severity of the bipolar mood swings.  Dopaquel is a trade name for the drug Quetiapine, used similarly.
If you Google these drug names, you will find lists of the common and less common side-effects,  too many for me to list here.  There has been a lot of research on the use and effect of these drug. 
Vitamins are not necessary in conjunction with the use of these drugs , and they have no impact on side-effects --- obviously, if someone is found to be significantly lacking in a vitamin,  it'd make sense for them to take a suitable supplement.  There are no "natural" remedies ( there's little that's natural about many of those being sold ) for bipolar disorder.
Not having medical aid myself, I understand the serious problems and costs of finding competent medical care.  I consider it the binding professional and ethical duty of all doctors to fully take into account the financial situation of every patient, and to plan their healthcare accordingly.
It's a complex challenge for a doctor to select the drugs to recommend, as we vary individually in how we react to them, but there are usually cheaper alternatives which could be tried.  You need to discuss this with your treating doctor, who will understand the details of her illness and response to these and other drugs. It may be that more affordable alternatives could be used.  You could also explore whether your wife could make use of provincial hospitals, where some meds could be provided perhaps a better cost.