Question
Posted by: Amy | 2019/07/18

Can you develop PCOS after having a partial hysterectomy?

I am 37 years old and had a partial hysterectomy in December of 2018 and then by May of 2019 I felt like my hormones were not in balance. My blood work came back with high DHEA and testosterone, low progesterone, low thyroid function, low vitamin D, high platelet counts and normal estrogen. I never had high testosterone before my hysterectomy but I did have adenomyosis and endometriosis which was the reason for the hysterectomy. My doctor thinks that I have PCOS now but I only have symptoms that are associated with the high testosterone. Can PCOS develop after a partial hysterectomy?

- 2019/07/19

PCOS is a condition of the ovaries, so it can occur if you have had a hysterectomy and your ovaries were not removed. It should be possible to diagnose it on a scan of your ovaries. You don't say what your symptoms are, but I presume that you would not have  had a testosterone level checked before, so you would not know if you had it or not.