Question
Posted by: | 2020/07/25

Can TCP be used to disinfect a derma roller?

I don't have isopropyl so can TCP be used, if yes, why so?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert
- 2020/08/01

Thank you for the question.

I am presuming you are referring to the TCP Mouth Wash and if so this contains a low concentration of phenol and is specifically indicated for the mouth and throat. Following this I do not believe that using TCP is a good idea to disinfect your derma roller. Ideally we would prefer an alcohol concentration of at least 70% to ensure complete sterilisation of the roller.

Generally the recommendation to clean and disinfect your derma roller would be to first wash it under some warm (not hot or boiling) running water for about 1 minute. Then let it soak in a soapy mixture for about 60 minutes so that all skin, protein and blood gets removed and dissolved off the needles.

If you can’t find 70% alcohol or isopropyl then an alternative would be hydrogen peroxide. Let the derma roller sit in this for another 60 minutes. Finally rinse off well under running water for another 1 minute and let it air dry.

I hope the above has helped.

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic