Question
Posted by: | 2015/02/04

Can I have a heart attack if I run long distance?

How long does one need to train before running long distances? I am thirty year old male with a resting heart rate of 72bpm. The furthest I can run with comfort is 5km. My cholesterol and blood pressure results are normal, according to my tests. But I am slightly overweight, with a BMI of 26. Will my heart survive if I 25km in two months?

- 2015/02/05

Training for long distance running is a very gradual process and I would not advise you to run too far too soon. Add a few kilometres per week to your training schedule and rather aim for a race that is later in the year. Yes, it might be a shock to your heart if you suddenly run such a distance without being used to it. You will probably injure quite a few muscles in the process as well. Rather do it in the right way and you might turn into an athlete! Good luck.

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/02/05

Be careful. A distance of 20 km is huge. Add 2 km per week to you training programme and it will give you an additional 14 km + the 5 km that you already do totals 19 km. You should then be able to do the 25km. Maybe not so easy as you might think. There were a couple of misfortunes on the Comrades Marathon. Good luck.