Question
Posted by: | 2019/05/22

COUGHING FOR A YEAR

My mom has had a chronic cough for over a year. Has been tested for sleep apnea and put on the machine, asthma is mild, allergy test came back normal, ent gave her meds to help sleep at night to help with cough, still coughing.CT scan of the lungs came back clear and chest xray. He stated that there was nothing more he can do for her and that some people just have a chronic cough with no diagnosis. I feel so horrible for her, wish she could get some relief. Do you have any advice?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/05/23

Common causes of chronic cough that are often missed and remain undiagnosed are those of a chronic post-nasal drip (requires a nasal spray or antihistamine), and acid reflux up the food pipe. Your doctor can easily do a trial of treatment and often this may be rewarding. Sometimes the cough is multifactorial.

1
Posted by: Joan | 2019/05/25

thank you doctor above info. I have also been coughing for well over many years and recently have been successfully operated on for lung cancer and needed no radiation or chemo as a result. But I am still coughing, probably due to GERD, which I have had for a long time. I just wish I could stop coughing so much and pray that someone will find a cure. thank you again

Reply to Joan