Question
Posted by: KAthleen Winnett | 2020/01/19

Can my heart medicine of carvediol cause my cough for months?

I have been coughing since last August white mucus. My doctor has put me on steroids for 5 days twice cough went away now coughing again been coughing 5 months had xrays it was clear. The mucus is white not yellow. I'm on carvedilol for my heart? Could that cause my cough?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2020/01/23

Firstly, Carvedilol can be associated with a chronic dry cough though sometimes there could me mucous production.  It is a well-recognised side effect of Carvedilol.  You can stop the medication for 4 weeks and see if this makes a difference in the symptoms.  Another helpful clue is return of the symptoms if you restart the medication.  However, you need to consult with your doctor before you stop the Carvedilol so they can give you a substitute.
Secondly, one has to taken a balanced view.  There are also other very common causes of cough including chronic post-nasal drip (responds very well to antihistamines and nasal spray), acid coming up the food pipe (reflux disease), and common chest conditions such as smokers cough and asthma.
You need to consult your doctor about these possibilities.